What you need:* about a pound of white fish: mahi-mahi (best best best), tilapia (cheapest, and 2nd best) or cod (not best choice).
* flour tortillas (or corn)
* sour cream
* cheese (cheddar or "Mexican Blend")
* panko bread crumbs
* 2 eggs
* oil (I use canola)
* 3 bowls, a bunch of paper towels, a plate and a saute pan
1. Cut your fish into small pieces - I usually go about 1-2 inch strips
2. Pour about 1/2 inch deep of oil into pan and turn to medium heat.
3. In your three bowls you will have 1 thing in each.
- Bowl 1: Flour, salt, pepper, I also add garlic salt. (far right)
- Bowl 2: the two eggs all scrambled up. (middle)
- Bowl 3: the panko with more salt, pepper and garlic salt if you are feeling it. (far left)
4. When the oil is hot enough to fry, if you drop in a piece of breading it should dance, then you can start with the fish...
5. Take each piece of fish and dip it in bowl 1, then bowl 2 then bowl 3 and drop into the oil - should be about 1/2 under
6. Cook each side about 4 minutes then flip, the fish will be cooked through and the crust should be golden brown, take them out of the oil and put on the pile of paper towels you have waiting on the plate...
7. Take your tortillas and put in the ingredients.
- My order goes
- Tortilla, sour cream, fish, lime juice, cheese, avocado slices and salsa